After I wrote the cry baby blog post about trying and failing to get a credenza off craigslist, someone emailed me back and I went the next day to pick it up.
That was ages ago! Then, it sat under our tv for months, making the tv too high for my liking. It was laminate, not in as good of shape as I was hoping for, and that alleviated any possible guilt about painting/holes/changing it. So, I stared at it for a couple of months and came up with a plan.
After some time with wood filler, paint and a jig saw, it’s much different!
I filled in the missing laminate, gouges and scrapes with some simple carpenters wood filler, then sanded them smooth. I gave the whole thing a good wipe down with TSP solution, then primed it with a mini foam roller and some BIN shellac primer (mine is tinted gray).
I used the remainder of my Behr sample color matched to Farrow & Ball Teresa’s Gray, and then used a sample can of Teresa’s Gray that I purchased from Farrow & Ball, when I ordered the Down Pipe.
I turned the whole thing upside down and cut off the legs flush, with my jig saw. No pictures of that because… jig saw and camera shouldn’t be manned at the same time by one person. Unfortunately, I got a tad bit overzealous on one of the legs. It was easily remedied by building it back up with wood filler.
I screwed the leg mounting brackets on in the corners, in the area where the old legs had been. Which, I don’t have a picture of?
Everything, including the brackets got another coat of paint. This is when I discovered that the Farrow & Ball Estate Emulsion was not good for grubby little fingers and it wouldn’t stay clean. So, I bought a spray can of Gloss Poly. It did not go well. In some areas, nothing, then in other areas, big yellow puddles.
Lame. I sanded lightly with 220 grit sandpaper to remove those. I used a foam roller and applied gloss poly from the can. It DID change the color slightly, making it a little more golden. Much more durable though. Which is good, because my daughter just drew on it with pen just this morning.
While all the paint was drying, I took the drawers onto the porch to be sanded. That was a generally unpleasant experience since it’s literally freezing in Minneapolis. It was quick to get the finish off the veneer, but some of it in the corners was also removed. No bigs. Then, I stressed about what color to stain the wood. Like, probably more than a healthy amount. I knew that I wanted it to be warm, but not too red, and not too dark. I dabbed the wood with a wet cloth, ok! ok! It was some spit on my finger, but, it worked. And I liked the color! 3 coats of satin water based poly (’cause I had the time and was feeling ambitious), and it was just what I was hoping for.
There’s the bracket!
It seems like a lot of steps, but it actually went very smoothly and quickly,
Sorry. The only ‘before’ that I have is one my husband quick snapped on his iphone. And ignore the dust. Everything in this house is eternally dusty.
Also! Today is my 2 year house-iversary.