So, my house keeps being like: Yo. Remember how you left me with 50’s green walls and hundreds of holes?
And I’m like: Shhhh. Netflix and wine.
The one area where I did pull it together, was for my daughter’s 4th birthday. She was very specific with her present requests this year. She wanted to paint her bedroom door purple, and she wanted to paint her bed pink. You guys, she is my little daughter through and through.
She is still sleeping in the Graco Lauren crib that I purchased when I was all fat and pregnant, 4+ years ago. Although, we converted it to a toddler bed a ways back. The factory espresso finish wasn’t in great shape, and I agree with her that pink would be much better.
So naturally, we had a girl’s shopping trip to the hardware store for her to pick out her paints. She chose Benjamin Moore Hot Lips (for the bed) in the Satin Advance line.
I disassembled the bed, and moved it into a room that I had put plastic all over the floors and wall.
Make sure that you keep track of all the loose screws and bolts. I used a small box with a lid.
I then used Goo Gone to remove any stickers (like on the back, I kept the ones on the base that say ‘left’ and ‘right’), and used 220 sand paper to smooth out the spots where toddler Rylan chewed on the bed. You know those chewed spots.
Since I couldn’t find my TSP anywhere, I used some water and dish soap to give everything a wipe down. Give it a couple of hours to dry before primer.
Here’s the girl, with her bed:
I love oil based primer. I know, it’s smelly and the clean up can be a hassle, but there isn’t anything else like it. It sticks to everything, without sanding, which is a major bonus. I decided to try Kilz primer in the spray paint, because I knew that I had lotsssssss of coats to do, and I wanted to get the priming done quickly.
So. I bought a can and started spraying.
Then, I ran out.
TWO more cans of spray paint later, and I was done.
I do not think it was especially cost affective, because I already have about 5 cans of different primers and there’s a lot of waste with the spraying, but it sure was faster than painting with a roller/brush. One thing of note with this primer, was it had a lot of texture, almost fibrous. I wish I would have been more conscious of it, and sanded it with 220 before paint. Now, I know.
I used a paint brush, and a mini dense foam roller for the flat parts and to smooth out the brush strokes. I painstakingly painted each side, giving 16+ hours to dry, then turning it over and painting the other side. I did this for 2 coats, sooooo 4 days (about 1 hour for the first coat each side, and then 30 minutes for each side for subsequent coats.) Also, sanding between coats with 220 sandpaper, then wiping down with mineral spirits. I equate sanding between coats to, you know, poking out my eye. It gives such a smoother finish though. So, sand between coats.
After that, I wised up ya’ll. I loosely assembled the bed again, for the 3rd and final coat.
The thing about the Benjamin Moore Advance paint, is it takes a long time between coats, and 3-5 days before the painted object should be handled. That was not an issue for me (Rylan slept on her mattress on the floor, crack den style). It theoretically gives a very durable finish, but I haven’t had the pieces in use long enough to test it. Another thing of note, the Satin finish is much shinier than a normal satin finish. It will be less shiny if applied with a foam roller, and more shiny if applied with a brush. Or, so I have found.
While it was drying, I remembered that I had picked up the Ikea Tofsviva Duvet for her on a whim, a couple months back. I personally do not mind tone on tone, but lo and behold, the pink in the duvet
almost perfectly matches Hot Lips. Whaaaaaat. Get out of here, world. Also, get out of my brain, Rylan. And, also, you all are welcome that this mother/daughter duo solved the conundrum of what color perfectly matches the pink in the duvet.
Of course, now that I have spent hours of my life painting THIS bed, I have decided that I should probably start looking for a bigger bed/bedframe for her, and giving her a big girl room.
All in all, a very inexpensive way to make a big change. It was about $27 for the paint and $15 for the spray paint primer.
Here’s the after: