I had a little birdie, her name was Enza…

"farrow ball down pipe" "panel moulding" "panel molding"

I opened up the window,

and,

In-Flu-Enza!

I had that nursery rhyme stuck in my head when I was in a feverish state. Which, FYI, is a sub-par way to spend a week long staycation.

None the less, I was surprisingly productive.

In the month of July, I take a week off of work in observance of my birthday. That probably makes it seem like I make a huge deal of my birthday, but, I actually don’t even expect presents, or endless admiration of my existence or anything of the such. My twin sister and I usually high five and call it good.

It’s just a good reason for me to chill and enjoy some good weather in MN. I usually work on some projects around the house, too – last year I worked on building a pantry.

I clearly don’t know how to vacation or birthday. Next year, someone save me from myself.

Side note: Since we turned 30 this year (I’ve been told numerous times that this is a big deal), we went out clubbing on a whim (after I had spent 6 hours painting moulding.) It was a lot of fun. The recovery was less fun.

The only photographic evidence that this event occurred.

What moulding, you may ask? Ok. So you’re probably not asking. But I’m going to tell you regardless. I’m pretty self-centric like that.

As I was putting up the casing and header in the dining room, I was feeling pretty pleased with myself and ability to cut 45 degree angles and decided to add a little something to the walls.

I went to my local lumberyard to look at what was available. I originally wanted 3/4″ half round – but they didn’t have any available. So I went with 3/4″ x 1/4″ screen, since it was narrow and had an eased edge.

It ended up taking time, but was one of my easiest projects I’ve done, and pretty inexpensive. Way, way less time consuming and physically exhausting than mudding and sanding plaster walls. That shit is just brutal. Oh, wait. I already did that in the dining room. These walls had better appreciate my efforts.

I almost forgot the room used to look like this:043

And that was after a lot of work.

In case anyone cares:

Here are the things that I had to work with when planning the placement of the moulding:

  • 4 walls – 3 windows and 2 large openings to other rooms
  • None of the windows/headers are the same height (besides the two matching windows)
  • None of the spaces are the same width for equal spacing of the panels
  • NOTHING IS LEVEL

Simple rectangles seemed the easiest. I decided to use the spacing of 3″ from walls/baseboards/casing and 6″ (5 1/4″ actual) between the screen moulding. With this, the areas that were largest would get 3 rectangles and the smaller areas would get 1 or 2, dependent on the width of the area. The height was just eyeballing it and shrugging, marked it off and then used the level around the room. It made the maths fairly easy. Space -6″= outer rectangle width (-12″= middle rectangle width, – 12″= inner rectangle width.)

The greatest gift I gave myself with starting this project, was renting this lazer level from Home Depot for 4 hours. I used it to make the painting line in Ry’s room for the One Room Challenge.IMG_1492

It’s super frustrating to get it absolutely level, but once you do, it’s quick to mark out all the lines. It took me about 3 hours in total – but I got 5 absolutely level lines all around the room. I just went around with a marker and short level and traced them.

From there, it was mathing out the width and then cuts, cuts and more cuts. Then even more.

I purchased 53 8′ pine screen moulding pieces and it was 152 cuts that made it up on the walls. That’s not including the maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany miss-cuts that I made.IMG_1493

I got a ton of splinters, to boot.

Like, I know that an inanimate object like a thermostat just hanging there shouldn’t illicit feelings of contempt and rage in a person, but I am perhaps mentally unhappy, and it did. I am SO happy that I finally moved it to the stairwell in the basement, hidden, where things of shame should go.

Once all the screen was all nailed up with my brad nailer, the holes got spackled, sanded and primed. Then 3 (!) coats of Farrow and Ball Down Pipe in the Estate Emulsion. I had claw hands and had to go over the whole walls with the last coat, because this gallon is a slightly different color than the last one, and it’s still a little splotchy. Thanks for nothing, super expensive paint.

It took FOR.EV.ER to paint.

The radiator still needs to be painted, too, it got a coat of gray spay paint primer (thus the newspaper on the floor.) But I’m giving that remaining paint the major side eye. And that whole radiator sitch, in general. IMG_1502

It’s very subtle, but I like it.IMG_1521 IMG_1513 IMG_1505 IMG_1533 IMG_1536 IMG_1541

Still on the list is building a new credenza, scrubbing the floor, art etc. I am thinking about putting crown moulding up, too, but haven’t decided on a profile yet.

I like the idea of a rug in here, but it would be ruint in nanoseconds.

Also, maybe my light fixture will arrive someday? I ordered it 8 weeks ago, and I’m starting to be concerned that I only ordered it in a very realistic delusional state not based in reality. The lead time was 5-6 weeks, and last I heard, it was supposed to have shipped out over a week ago (did not happen.) It’s been kind of frustrating and disappointing with the lack of communication.

I ain’t mad at those walls tho.

 

 

6 thoughts on “I had a little birdie, her name was Enza…”

    1. Thanks Katherine! I got to sleep in past 5:30 am for that week, so I’m still considering it a successful vacation.

    1. Thanks Emy! I had a moment (after I had painted two coats and used most of the $99 gallon of paint) wondering if I should change the color. Then I reminded myself that I obviously can’t be trusted.

Comments are closed.