Kitchen – Floor Saga

After living with white grout in the kitchen for 6 months, it. had. to. go.

A new tile floor was a going to happen.

The floor noticeably sloped, at least 1″ into the center of the house, I figured that I would fix that, when I retiled the floor. I read all about SLC (self leveling compound).

See slope, slope:slope

 

So, demo day came, and we (me, my husband, sister, and uncle) tore up the floor in a matter of hours.

Then….

Shit.

The floor was REALLY slopped.

Like, 1 1/2″ of SLC in the corner AND still a 1″ slope.

I was tired. Now I didn’t have a floor, and I had a problem. We built up the low areas with 3/4″ tongue and groove subfloor, laid backer board down and then poured SLC on all of it. Don’t grow up to be like me, kids.

I tiled the floors. It was a 12″ x 24″ porcelain tile. I liked the tile.

While we were at it, we (crudely) closed up the 5th doorway (it went to the basement, and was added after the fact, the original basement door is only 24″ wide and was turned into a closet. I hope my washer and dryer never break. Ha.), and moved the dishwasher next to the sink.

But issues started, there was still a substantial slope, cracks started showing in the grout, and tiles were wobbling – all signs that the subfloor was failing.

6 months. It. had. to. go.

I had ordered these lovely custom cabinets. I didn’t want to put them on a heavily sloped floor and on a floor that I didn’t love.

I told my husband. He gave a deep, resigned sigh. Regretted his life. The ush.

I got in contact with a contractor about what to do about the joists, do we sister them? He suggested that we dig new footings (deep holes dug into the basement floor and cement poured), jack up the main beam, put new posts in on top of the footings to support the raised beam, as well as a new beam under the weak part around the chimney. Which had a 2×4 nailed into it – to support the basement stairs and part of the floor. Wat.

Great. A solution.

My heart was emotionally scarred, and my knees were literally scarred from my tile failure.

I knew what I wanted. Walnut. And I didn’t want to install it. We have yellow birch flooring in the rest of the house, which is original. It is blonde, but has a lot going on in the grain.

There aren’t very many local flooring installers that do site install/finishing walnut flooring in Minneapolis. I lucked out with the company that does, though.

Demo day. Deux. We got the floor up pretty quickly.

The work was done in the basement, but not without it’s set backs, naturally. Go figure that the water heater is exactly where it shouldn’t be and needs to be moved. Go figure I was told the first day that work was supposed to start, the old floor was out, and I already paid a cash deposit for the floor installation in just a week. Go figure it would just cost $500 to move it and reconnect it. Never mind hearing your whole house grumble and creak while it’s being jacked up. Talk about nerves.

Main beam, and new support beam in basement
Main beam, and new support beam in basement

Anyways.

Floors!walnutfloor walnutfloor2

 

Sure. I was without a kitchen for 2+ weeks. Worth it.

1 thought on “Kitchen – Floor Saga”

  1. Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Excellent blog and terrific style and design.|

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *