Stop me if you’ve heard this story before (if you’re new to this blog, then it’s sure to be a riveting story): we bought this house from some house flippers that covered all the plaster walls with drywall. The walls looked nice, but projected farther than the baseboards and it irked the hell out of me. A few years ago, I started removing drywall, room by room, to expose varying horrors underneath.
This guest room is the 7th room in the house that I’ve been repairing in earnest and for some reason, although I have gotten a pretty good handle on it, I felt serious avoidance to putting the work in. Like, I found all sorts of other activities to do instead of work on those walls. Working my actual job longer days, watching kids movies (Hocus Pocus for the win) and idk, my fucking taxes? Basically, anything seemed better.
I removed the drywall and screws, and introduced the room.
But not myself? Which should be the biggest indicator of who I am. My name is Madeline, I am not a designer or real blogger (as evidenced by my many posting faux pas) and I am renovating my 100+ year old home as a hobby. I do all these projects by myself because my husband has no interest in them. I love hyperbole and pink.
Now back to the room.
Last week I scraped off the faux finish. What I was left with was the room with the least amount of cracks on the ceiling and walls, although I was still gifted with some huge chunks of wall/ceiling missing, cracks and tons of screw holes. And a seriously growing hatred for all the previous owners. The worst. Whenever I would get my dusty clothes on and mix up some mud, I barely worked on it and would abandon the walls for wine and justifications that I still have weeks.
That is the beauty that is the One Room Challenge though. Thanks to Linda, from Calling it Home, for creating this event. And all the amazing and inspiring participants! I can’t give ya’ll an ugly and crumbling room and I am running out of time.
So I hunkered down and worked on those walls. Super crabby though. Like, don’t even fucking look at me wrong, Cat. I know you’ve been sleeping for the past 22 hours. And why am I not eating a whopper with cheese right now!?
Short version is remove crumbling plaster from cracks, patch large holes with drywall, fiberglass screen on all the cracks and holes, layer joint compound, another layer, probably some more and then sanddddddddd. The caveat is that you have to feel comfortable drinking wine with questionable chunks of plaster and dust.
I spent daysssssssss patching. The ceiling had some weird powdery substance on it? Like they thought about doing popcorn but then nah. I scraped off what I could, but it made it really difficult to apply the joint compound by sucking out the moisture asap and sucking up my life essence while it was at it.
And that’s where I’m at. Still.
I have to sand and then prime everything before I can even move on to the actual paint. I always follow that up with two coats of oil based primer (nothing better) and then two coats of latex primer. It’s proven to be the most efficient at reducing any flashing in the top coat. I think I do 4 coats? I can’t remember right now.
Even further insult is the paint on the trim is peeling off in some places and scaling in others, and it’s for sure lead paint underneath so I can’t just sand it smooth. Sooooooooooo stripping it will have to be done. And don’t eat the paint chips.
I went for a much needed run and then came home and painted on a layer of stripper. I didn’t even get out of my gym clothes, which is why I have so many ruined clothes piling up. The citristrip was on there to do most of the work while I was at work. At my actual paying job.
Which I just got back from, took these pictures and finished this post for the week 3 link up. Ahead of things, I am not.
I am exhausted and not sure if I’ll get everything that I want to do done in time.
On to the good news though? Even though the room still looks like shit, I ordered some pretty stuff for it and that’s starting to arrive.
I also purchased that rug for my dining room. I ordered the 9’x12′ and it came several inches too big and too big for my room. A quick google search and the internet was like ‘omg it’s so easy to fix!’ and I was like cool. LET ME TELL YOU, NOT FUCKING COOL. I feel it’s only right that someone on the internet is honest about it. It took me several hours to use a seam ripper to remove the braid, sew it back on in the right place and then a huge blister when cutting off the excess. And I stabbed myself a million times. I damned bled for that rug.
So, pray that when I unroll the one for this room, it’s the right size. Otherwise I’m going to have to burn the house down and live in a cave.
I found my kreg jig! But can’t find my respirator mask and had to buy a new one. WHO HAS THESE PROBLEMS.
All that’s left is:
- Strip wood work
- Sand walls
- Get my life together
- Build a bed and figure out how to upholster (I find this project intimidating)
- Avoid a nervous breakdown
- Put all the pretty stuff in there
3 weeks. Tears.
Head back to the link up for all the other people putting in work!